Monday, September 30, 2013

Week 2 - Literacy Debate: Online, R U Really Reading?



I believe that literacy includes all forms of reading, writing and communication. When I was growing up I read from books because that was all we had. I remember what a treat it was to watch the film version of a book we were reading in English class. Was the film version less important to my learning and understanding of the book? No, I think it had its own merit and value just as the various ways of reading or viewing a story or article on-line or on tablet has today. I don’t see the value in counting any forms of literacy out. Why would we do that?

Learners today are captivated by technology. Incorporating literacy into that world can only enhance the use of any form and engage them in thinking and understanding whether it is intentional or not.

Now I text or write emails to my friends and colleagues. I still write letters by hand but sometimes I will type them as well. The new technologies of literacy give us a freedom that we have not had before. We can communicate instantly or in a few days depending on the mode of communication. We have choice and can enjoy the new ways in which literacy can be presented to us and how we, as intelligent beings, can manipulate and use these methods for learning and enjoyment.

As new methods of communication emerge we should not negate their value as a platform for literacy. They say “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks” which is something I never saw as the truth.  Lets use the computer, tablet, smart phone, internet, blogging, texting, and emailing to enhance our ability to understand and create literacy.

I think it will take some time for this form of literacy to achieve equal value. It is still in its infancy but growing stronger every day. I believe it has a very strong value in 21st century learning and literacy that will take some time to find its own recognized importance as the learning population continues to use it and as they themselves grow from its use.


Reference

Rich, M. (2008, July 27). Literacy debate: Online, r u really reading? The New York Times.  Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/books/27reading.html? pagewanted=all&_r=1&



No comments:

Post a Comment